- Bukidori (weapons taking) is important and part of dan testing;
- Suburi (basic movement/strikes) is important;
- Kata (paired practice) is not required.
Handling weapons at a test:
- The weapon should be handed to uke (e.g., not placed on the floor or tossed);
- It should be presented to uke so he/she can take it safely by the handle (e.g. not with the edge or point facing forward);
- Nage may optionally assume a defensive posture immediately after taking the weapon
to demonstrate control, but should not otherwise touch uke with the weapon.